What is HealthTech Connect?
- HealthTech Connect is a secure online system for identifying and supporting health technologies as they move from inception to adoption in the UK health and care system.
- It is intended for for devices, diagnostic and digital health technologies that either:
- offer measurable benefits to patients (or other health and care service users) compared to those already offered by current routine practice in the UK, or
- provide measurable benefits to the UK health and care system compared to those already offered by current routine practice in the UK.
- The following technologies are unlikely to be relevant for HealthTech Connect:
- product line extensions, unless these are associated with additional measurable benefits
- iterations of existing technologies, unless these are associated with additional measurable benefits
- It is not intended to be a catalogue of all available health technologies. Instead, it aims to identify and support health technologies that offer measurable benefits to patients or the health and care system compared to current routine practice in the UK.
- It has been developed by NICE with funding from NHS England. A range of partner organisations have helped to develop the system including industry associations (ABHI, AXREM, BIVDA), NIHR and the NIHR Innovation Observatory, the AHSN network, Office for Life Sciences, MHRA, NHS Clinical Commissioners, NHS Supply chain and the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.
- HealthTech Connect aims to reduce the duplication and complexity involved in adopting a health technology in the UK. It is a clear and simple point of entry for health technologies to access support and national evaluation programmes.
- It helps national organisations that support the development of health technologies, or that have a responsibility for issuing guidance, advice and policies about health technologies, to better identify them. This helps the UK health and care system to better plan for the introduction and adoption of health technologies (for example by reconfiguring services, or enabling reimbursement), which enables quicker, better-informed decision-making.
- It also enables transformative technologies to be identified and fast tracked through relevant processes with the Accelerated Access Collaborative.
How does HealthTech Connect work?
- Companies (health technology developers or those working on behalf of a health technology developer) visit www.HealthTechConnect.org.uk and register to use the system. Data can be entered and updated about a technology as it develops. It is free of charge for companies to use.
- The system will help companies to understand what information is needed by decision makers in the UK health and care system (such as levels of evidence), and clarify possible routes to market access.
- The information entered will be used to identify if the technology is suitable for consideration by an organisation that offers support to health technology developers (for example, through funding, technology development, generating evidence, market access, reimbursement or adoption).
- It will also be used to identify if the technology is suitable for consideration for evaluation by a UK health technology assessment programme.
- Technologies that are suitable for support or evaluation will be able to access it through HealthTech Connect. This will avoid the need for companies to provide similar, separate information about the technology to the organisation or programme.
Who will have access to the information entered on HealthTech Connect?
- A limited number of people working on behalf of an approved Accessor organisation can access HealthTech Connect.
- Doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals will not have access to HealthTech Connect unless they also have a role in one of the approved Accessor Organisations and are registered to use the system on behalf of the Accessor Organisation.