HealthTech Connect is in development (previously known as MedTechScan)
What is HealthTech Connect?
- HealthTech Connect (previously known as MedTechScan) is currently being developed. It will be a secure online system for identifying and supporting health technologies (including devices, diagnostics, apps, and wearables) as they move from inception to adoption in the UK health and care system. It is planned to launch in November 2018.
- It is being developed by NICE with funding from NHS England. A range of partner organisations are helping to develop the system including industry associations (ABHI, AXREM, BIVDA), NIHR and the NIHR Innovation Observatory, the AHSN network, Office for Life Sciences, MHRA, NHS Clinical Commissioners, and the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland (subject to access agreements).
- HealthTech Connect is being developed to reduce the duplication and complexity involved in getting a health technology adopted in the UK. It will be a clear and simple point of entry for health technology to access support and national evaluation programmes.
- It will help organisations and programmes that support or evaluate health technologies to better identify them. This will enable timely support to be offered and will help the UK health and care system to better plan for the introduction and adoption of health technologies (for example by reconfiguring services, or enabling reimbursement). This will enable quicker, better-informed decision making by the UK health and care system.
- It will also enable transformative technologies to be identified and fast tracked through relevant processes with the Accelerated Access Collaborative.
How does HealthTech Connect work?
- Companies will use HealthTech Connect to enter and update information about their technology as it develops. It will be free of charge for companies to use.
- The system will help companies to understand what information is needed by decision makers in the UK health and care system (such as levels of evidence), and clarify possible routes to market access.
- The information entered will be used to identify if the technology is suitable for consideration by an organisation that offers support to health technology developers (for example with funding, technology development, evidence generation, market access, reimbursement, adoption).
- It will also be used to identify if the technology is suitable for consideration for evaluation by a UK health technology assessment programme.
- Technologies that are suitable for support or evaluation will be able to access it through HealthTech Connect. This will avoid the need for companies to provide similar, separate information about the technology to the organisation or programme.
Who will have access to the information entered into HealthTech Connect?
- The HealthTech Connect website will provide up to date information about which organisations and programmes are registered to use the system.
- National health technology assessment programmes are likely to have direct access to all records in the system, for example NICE, NHS England Specialised Services and relevant teams or programmes from the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland subject to relevant access agreements being in place.
- Other registered organisations and programmes will have access to the system, but only for records where the company has granted permission for them to view the record. This can be changed at any time by the company, for example NOCRI, AHSN network, MHRA Innovation office, UK Research and Innovation (Innovate UK).
- Registered users are required to sign a legally binding accessor agreement that sets out roles and responsibilities, including strict adherence to confidentiality.
Where can I get further information?